About Me

My photo
I am a Shark and Big Animal Photographer and the Founder of Big Fish Expeditions. I also pilot research submersibles on rare occasions but primarily I photograph sharks and rays. The shark images that I take have been used in many commercial publications but most importantly I try to concentrate on shooting rare and endangered species of sharks for conservation initiatives. It is a labour of love.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Shark Tour Blogs: San Diego Blue Sharks

Bluedogs off San Diego

September 25, 2009 by sharkdiver

Bluedogs off San Diego

20th April 2009

Just a quick update to let you all know that for the next few days we are hanging out in Southern California diving around San Diego. When we arrived four days ago La Jolla Shores looked pretty daunting but the seas have now calmed down and the shore diving is looking good.

Yesterday we got a chance to head out with our old friend Walter Heim. Walt is an all around great guy and a master at chumming in blues and makos.

We were a bit early for makos so we headed way off shore to where the water turns from green to blue and laid out an irresistible chum slick that attracted a couple of plucky little blue sharks. Its tough to do justice to the beautiful iridescent colors that reflect from the back of a young blue shark but we gave it a good try! As the sun was getting low in the sky Claire and I bobbed around behind Walter’s boat snapping frame after frame.

The second shark (about 5ft long) was happy to pose from just about every angle so I was able to add some really nice portraits to my blue shark collection:

A rare shot of me! Seems like I’m always on the other side of the lens.

Photo © Claire Pianta.

While writing this blog I got a couple of emails from Walt saying that the first school of Leopard sharks was spotted off La Jolla shores today and a diver encountered a sevengill shark in La Jolla Cove so tomorrow we’ll probably be in and out of the water all day. By the time we rendezvous with another one of Walt’s buddies for a night dive with horn sharks we’re gonna be chilled to the bone but how can we resist with so many sharks and so little time!

For the sharks,

Andy Murch

No comments: